Country Lesson #6 - Pitchers are LARGELY outnumbered by
savers. There are alternate uses for
everything. I am and have always been a
pitcher. My twin sister and I used to go
through the garage, refrigerator, and closets when my dad was gone and throw
away everything that had no immediate use.
I hate clutter and I go through all my clothes and shoes on a regular
basis to donate whatever I haven’t worn within the past year. I don’t keep things for later. This mindset is the exact opposite from the
country mindset. Josh’s dad has
countless vehicles, lawnmowers, farm machinery, and tools that no longer work;
however, he saves them in case he ever needs the functioning parts for
something else. He can manipulate any
piece of equipment to make it work for whatever he needs. This random mix of parts and supplies doesn’t
allow for the most attractive tools, vehicles, or machinery, but it has saved
them many times in the past. People
nearby have all kinds of extra material goods, both functioning and not
functioning, around their yards and porches, so I can only imagine what the
inside of their houses is like. If you
haven’t always had what you need, you hold on to what you do have for as long
as possible. Early on in our engagement,
Josh and I couldn’t see eye to eye on this.
I didn’t understand why he needed 50+ cutoff work t-shirts and wanted
him to get rid of some of them. In the
process of going through his t-shirts, I pitched his Carhartt work
coveralls. I’ve never seen panic like a
farm boy who can’t find his coveralls. He
still brings up the fact that I made him get rid of some of his “good” cutoffs,
as opposed to the 30+ cutoffs he still has.
I haven’t gotten much better, but I can acknowledge that I should at
least consult Josh and think about short-term and long-term uses of things. This has been a hard lesson to learn. Country Lesson #6 – Maybe I’m not the best
saver, but I’ll hopefully learn to hold on to material goods for a little
longer than before. Cleanliness is still
necessary!
No comments:
Post a Comment