Friday, March 15, 2013
Lesson #4 - Rural Life is Extremely Political. Merit Doesn't Mean Opportunity
Country Lesson #4 - Rural life extremely is political – I am a teacher
by calling. In my city life, I taught
third graders in an incredibly challenging school. Some days, I would come home frustrated
beyond words, but I always knew that teaching was what I was called to do. I assumed that as a qualified, passionate,
and well-respected teacher that I would have no problems finding a teaching job
in one of the many struggling school systems in the Appalachian Mountains. This was certainly not the case. After applying to and actively pursuing six
different school systems within an hour and a half radius of McKee, I had
absolutely no luck. There were over 15
jobs posted on the Kentucky Department of Education website, and I contacted
hiring officials and principals about every job opening. My boss called other principals and I visited
schools and boards of education to introduce myself and personally submit my
application and teaching philosophy statement.
Several other teachers wrote letters of recommendation and contacted
schools on my behalf, but I never received so much as an email or phone call
back. As the months passed and I talked
to people from the area, I came to realize that I wasn’t going to get a
teaching job regardless of my previous honors, recommendations, or
qualifications. I didn’t know the right
people. I wasn’t married to the son of a
board member and I’m not the daughter of a local sheriff or politician. I was a foreigner and around here foreigners
are not trusted. Country Lesson #4 – Life is political and
merit does not always equal the opportunity you had hoped for.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Keep trying it is just as you said, but I got a job 19 1/2 years ago. It just takes one open minded individual to break the ice. They still think of me as a foreigner and I am not fully trusted but respected for who and what I am different.
ReplyDelete