Wednesday, March 13, 2013
Lesson #2 - Country Dogs are Not the Same as City Dogs
Country Lesson #2 – Country Dogs are Not the Same as City
Dogs - Although I’ve been here almost two years, I still believe that country
dogs are a vicious, rabid cousin of city dogs.
I couldn’t tell you how many times I’ve had to dodge dogs chasing my car
the entire way down the street or fighting in the field. I’m afraid to get near anyone’s dog and am
afraid someone will shoot my dogs if they get out. Before moving to McKee, I’d never known
anything other than inside dogs that love to go on walks and play fetch. I’ve had two dogs my entire life and they were
truly a part of my family. Josh has been through 15+ dogs and thinks it’s no
big deal if one runs off or gets hit by a car.
All of my dogs lived entirely inside, except for playing in our fenced in
backyard and going on long walks. All of
Josh’s dogs lived entirely outside, except for sleeping in the barn or basement
if it was too cold or were injured. It didn’t
go over well when Josh told me that my newfound love, a 10-week old Bloodhound
named Marigold, was going to have to live outside. “What do you mean live outside? Just play outside and come inside to sleep
and get shelter on rainy days, right?” I
was terrified as I pulled into the farm to see a dog house, inside of a fenced
in kennel with a roof. I’ve had him
build additional houses to go over their houses and put an overhead fan in the
kennel to ease my mind somewhat. I’m
still not sold on the idea. We have had
our fair share of battles over Marigold and Rosie being outside, and I sneak them
inside when the weather is rough or I need a cuddle buddy while Josh is at work. Josh can always tell when he walks into the
house and sees candles burning. It’s not
for setting the mood; it’s to cover up the dogs’ scent! If there has ever been a 100 pound dopey, lovable,
non-rabid hybrid of a country dog and a city dog, Marigold is attempting to be
it! She swims in the muddy pond and flops
and rolls over skunk carcasses all day, but she expects to be pampered and
spoiled at the same time. She didn’t do
so well the first time my twin sister tried to take her for a run in Covington,
as she got distracted by every biker and squirrel that crossed her path and
thought the middle of the sidewalk was the perfect place to use the restroom. She’ll get there. Marigold is trying her best to be a little
bit country and a little bit city, just like her mother! Country Lesson #2 – While some country dogs
are crazy, others are just trying to figure out this whole country/city thing
like me.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Very cute parting photo.
ReplyDeleteHysterical Megan!! You have such a way with words!!
ReplyDelete