Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Lesson #1 - Country Meals are Feasts, Not Meals

Country meals are feasts not meals – I’m a thin woman.  For the past 8 years I’ve been 5’9 and 115ish pounds and I eat five small meals a day.  Staying in shape and maintaining a thin figure was something that was stressed throughout my adolescence and young adulthood in the suburbs, and eating in moderation is one of the most important ways to do this.  As I walked into Josh’s parents' house for the first time on a random Thursday in October, I was immediately almost knocked out by the smell of food: turkey, carrots, creamed corn, green beans, baked potatoes, mac and cheese, potato salad, pasta salad, rolls, chocolate cake, and white chocolate covered Oreos. We sat down at the dinner table and I grabbed my plate last as I pondered the problem ahead.  How was I going to fit all that food on my plate (and into my mouth) so as to not offend Josh’s parents and show how thankful I was for this wonderful, home-cooked and home-grown meal? I placed the smallest portions of every dish on my plate so that they were all smashed together, yet everything made its way to my plate. I tried every dish and was immediately thankful that I wore my lose jeans that day.  I felt miserably guilty as Josh’s mom asked, “don’t you want more food?” I had to refuse, but I truthfully thought they were going to have to roll me out of the kitchen.   Every time we ate over there, I faced this same problem.  I worried about trying to eat enough to show my appreciation but not eating so much that I gained 10 pounds after every visit.  After four years of attempting to stuff my face, I’ve learned to only take what I know I can handle, and ask for the left-overs for upcoming meals.  Country lesson #1 – There are worse things than having a sustainably raised, home-cooked feast every once in a while instead of a small meal.  When I am 300 pounds, we will know why. 

3 comments:

  1. I had a similar experience when I moved to Danny's family farm house in Bourbon County from sunny California where everything is steamed not fried.

    That was about 31 years ago. I learned to love soup soup beans and many other dishes. I just combined the best from both worlds.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had to ask Josh not too long ago what soup beans were :) I'm sure that was quite the transition for you! I'm getting there and it has helped me learn to cook a lot more.

      Delete
  2. Too funny! I can see how this meal thing could be an issue! Take lots of runs with the dogs!!

    ReplyDelete